ISI mark on a product aims at providing a guarantee of the quality, reliability and safety of the products to the end consumers. The ISI mark is issued by the Bureau of Indian Standards. Further, obtaining an ISI certificate is voluntary in nature thus it is not mandatory to obtain ISI certificate for every product. However, taking public health into consideration the government of India has made ISI certification mandatory for certain classes of products.����
BIS Product Certification Scheme
Through BIS Product Certification Scheme an ISI mark certification is provided to the manufacturer of the product. It is one of the largest schemes in the world, with over 26500 licensees covering more than 900 products. With BIS Certification the licensees are empowered to use the popular ISI mark on their product, which is synonymous with quality products. As per Government notification, 90 products are mandatorily required to have BIS certification. BIS also operates Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme through which license to use the BIS Standard Mark is granted to overseas manufacturers. At present, over 350 licenses have been granted for over 50 Indian Standards in 40 distinct countries.
Products for which BIS Certification is mandatory
The government of India has made BIS certification mandatory for certain products by keeping in mind the health and the safety of the people. These products cannot be sold without obtaining a BIS certification. The products for which BIS certification is mandatory are as follows-�
- Household electrical goods
- Food and related products
- Diesel engines
- Oil pressure stoves
- Automobile accessories
- Cylinders, Valves and Regulators
- Medical Equipment
- Steel Products
- Electrical Transformers
Types of BIS Certification Schemes
The distinct types of BIS certification scheme are as follows:
- Normal Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers � Initially the applicant is required to submit the BIS Certification application with required documents and requisite fee. As soon as the application is submitted to the BIS, the BIS officer will conduct a preliminary factory evaluation. To check the capability of the manufacturer to produce the goods according to the standard lay down by the government for that category the samples are tested in the factory. Also, the samples are drawn for independent testing. When the BIS officer is satisfied with the sample of the product then BIS certification is provided. Under this method, BIS Certification is expected to be granted within 4 months of submission of application.
- Simplified Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers � To facilitate ease in the procedure of obtaining ISI certification the simplified procedure was introduced. Under this scheme, the applicant submits a test report of the sample from a BIS approved lab along with the application for BIS Certification. In case the test report is satisfactory, then a verification of the factory premises is carried out by a BIS Officer. If the BIS officer is satisfied then a BIS certification is issued. Under this method, the license is expected to be granted within 30 days of submission of BIS Certification application with the required documents and test report.
- Tatkal Scheme- Every manufacturer who requires BIS standard mark mandatorily as per Government notification can obtain BIS license under the tatkal scheme. The application filed through tatkal Scheme will be processed on the priority basis and will be adhered to the strict time norms. The total time for processing is specified as 30 days.
- ECO Mark Scheme � Through this scheme, the BIS License for eco-friendly products are granted. The procedure for granting ISI certificate under this scheme is similar to that of the Domestic manufacturer scheme. Eco-friendly products are required to fulfill the additional requirements specified in the Indian Standards to qualify for the ECO mark.
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme � The Overseas applicants/foreign manufacturers can make an application for BSI certification under this scheme. Obtaining ISI certification will provide them the conformity of their products to applicable Indian standards. The BIS certificate under this scheme is issued within 6 months period.