What is CRS BIS?
The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) notified via the Electronics and Information Technology Goods Order 2012, that certain electronics would fall under BIS under the Compulsory Registration scheme. It means that without obtaining BIS CRS, the products can’t be stored, sold, imported of distributed. Which is why, you must obtain the BIS under CRS in order to deal with electronics.
All the products that are sold in India should meet a particular standard of quality. They should be safe for usage and should have optimal value so that people don’t feel like they haven’t gotten their adequate ROI. Furthermore, with India moving steadfast towards digitization, the information technology tools available should be of the highest quality.
That makes it imperative for every electronic product to be part of the BIS CRS list and get the BIS CRS Registration certificate. For that’s the only way the government is going to consider the product to be fit for consumption in the market.
Currently, there are 49 products under the BIS CRS scheme. They are as follows:
1. AMPLIFIERS WITH INPUT POWER 2000W AND ABOVE
2. AUTOMATIC DATA PROCESSING MACHINE
3. ELECTRONIC GAMES (VIDEO)
4. ELECTRONIC CLOCKS WITH MAINS POWER
6. ELECTRONIC MUSICAL SYSTEMS WITH INPUT POWER 200W AND ABOVE
7. MICROWAVE OVENS
9. PLASMA/LCD/LED TELEVISIONS OF SCREEN SIZE 32"; AND ABOVE
10. OPTICAL DISC PLAYERS WITH BUILT IN AMPLIFIERS OF INPUT POWER 200W AND ABOVE
11. PRINTERS, PLOTTERS
12. TELEPHONE ANSWERING MACHINES
13. SET TOP BOX
15. VISUAL DISPLAY UNITS, VIDEOS MONITORS OF SCREEN SIZE 32" AND ABOVE
16. PASSPORT READER
17. COPYING MACHINES/DUPLICATORS
18. CASH REGISTERS
19. WIRELESS KEYBOARDS
20. POINT OF SALE TERMINALS
21. MAIL PROCESSING MACHINES/POSTAGE MACHINES/FRANKING MACHINES
22. MOBILE PHONES
23. SMART CARD READER
24. POWER BANKS FOR USE IN PORTABLE APPLICATIONS
25. SELF-BALLASTED LED LAMPS FOR GENERAL LIGHTING SERVICES
26. DC OR AC SUPPLIED ELECTRONIC CONTROLGEAR FOR LED MODULES
27. POWER ADAPTORS FOR AUDIO,VIDEO & SIMILAR ELECTRONIC APPARATUS
28. POWER ADAPTORS FOR IT EQUIPMENTS
29. SEALED SECONDARY CELLS/BATTERIES CONTAINING ALKALINE OR OTHER NON-ACID ELECTROLYTES FOR USE IN PORTABLE APPLICATIONS
30. FIXED GENERAL PURPOSE LED LUMINAIRES
31. UPS/INVERTORS OF RATING <= 5KVA
32. INDIAN LANGUAGE SUPPORT FOR MOBILE PHONE HANDSETS
33. Recessed LED Luminaries
34. LED Luminaires for Road and Street lighting
35. LED Flood Lights
36. LED Hand lamps
37. LED Lighting Chains
38. LED Luminaires for Emergency Lighting
39. UPS/Inverters of rating <= 10kVA
40. Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size upto 32
41. CCTV Cameras/CCTV Recorders
42. Adapters for household and similar electrical appliances
43. USB driven Barcode readers, barcode scanners, Iris scanners, Optical fingerprint scanners
44. Storage battery
45. Utility-Interconnected Photovoltaic inverters
46. Power Invertors for use in photovoltaic power system
47. Thin-Film Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) Modules (a-Si, CiGs and CdTe)
48. Crystalline Silicon Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) modules (Si wafer based)
49. Smart watches
50. USB Type External Hard Disk Drive
51. Wireless Headphone and Earphone
52. USB Type External Solid- State Storage Devices (above 256 GB capacity)
53. Electronic Musical System with input power below 200 Watts
54. Standalone Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)with output voltage 48 V (max)
55. Television other than Plasma/ LCD/LED TVs
56. Rice Cooker
57. Wireless microphone
58. Digital Camera
59. Video Camera
60. Webcam (Finished Product)
61. Smart Speakers (with and without Display)
62. Dimmers for LED products
63. Bluetooth speakers
As per the BIS compulsory Registration scheme, following are the rules that are applicable for BIS CRS:
1. Manufacturers of any products under the above list have to apply for BIS CRS Registration Certificate.
2. Manufactures are required to apply for different BIS CRS number of their products are being manufactured at different locations.
3. BIS under the Compulsory Registration scheme happens per brand basis. That’s why, for multiple brands, multiple registrations are required. Even when they are being produced at a single factory.
To obtain CRS as per BIS, following documents need to be attached with the application:
1. Certificate of incorporation for your business entity.
2. MOA and AOA
3. Product Specification Document
4. ID proof
5. IEC code if you’re planning to import the product.
To acquire CRS BIS registration certificate in India, the process to be followed is as follows:
1. Create a BIS CRS login
2. File the online application
3. Submit the test reports of the product, of the tests conducted in labs recognized by the BIS. you can find a list of BIS CRS labs at the official website.
4. Submit the BIS CRS registration fees to finalize the submission of the application.
5. After you’ve filed the application, submit the hard copies of the application to the BIS within the next 15 days.
6. BIS will thoroughly analyze your application.
7. If there are any shortcomings with your application, you’ll be informed of the same.
8. The applicant shall get the CRS BIS certificate once the Bureau finds the application and the attached documents to be satisfactory.
As an applicant, you’ll be able to download the application via your portal on BIS portal. Use the BIS CRS CML Number to access the application. Once you do, you’ll be obligated to use the BIS CRS logo with your brand.
Following are the points of note as per the Compulsory registration scheme
1. Each BIS CRS number will be unique.
2. As per the scheme of BIS compulsory registration, the rules are first come and first serve. So, the sooner the application’s hard copy of submitted, the sooner you’ll obtain the license.
3. The CRS BIS registration is only valid for 2 years. After that, you’d have to file a form for BIS CRS renewal.
As there are many elements to the registration via compulsory registration scheme, it’s better to bring a professionals expertise when you’re filing the application for BIS. Registrationwala is a team of business consultants standing ready to aid you in this matter. We will
1. File the application for CRS BIS registration
2. Help you conduct the follow up in case you face shortcomings
3. Help you remove the shortcomings of the application and submit the application.
So, for end to end CRS BIS registration service, contact our experts.