Copyright is legal right that grants authors an exclusive right to his original work. This legal right is all about to reproduce the work for publishing and selling them to public.
Copyright is all about to put your idea into tangible form because the only expression can be protected by Copyright Law, but not your idea, concept, styles or techniques. Work can be protected under Copyright Act only when it has the requisite level of creativity.
The very basic reason for copyright registration is that you can file a case against any person only in case of copyright infringement only when you have a registered copyright on your unique work.
Though it�s nowhere mentioned that copyright registration is mandatory to avail certain rights by the authors but Copyright registration offers some additional advantages over non-registration. In short, Copyright registration is optional not compulsion, but advisable.
Just look at some the core advantages of a registered copyright:
- Registered copyright creates an intellectual property or an intangible asset. Being a property, you can sell, franchise or assign it.
- In case you have a registered copyright, then you can easily exercise your legal right.
- Registered copyright establishes a presence of copyright claim which subsists in you work.
- Copyright is like a reward to the creator so that other person can also encourage thinking creatively, doing creatively and creating unique things.
- Registered copyright creates the brand value of the company in the minds of the customer.
As copyrighted work in many other countries is eligible for similar protection in India, so works copyright registered in India are accorded the same protection in many other foreign countries.