Food safety and standard of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous body consolidates statute related to food safety and regulation in India. FSSAI is controlled by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. This has been established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. Mainly FSSAI is responsible for the protection and promotion of public health. It is headed by a non-executive Chairperson, appointed by the Central Government, either holding or has held the position of not below the rank of Secretary to the Government of India.
FSSAI License is compulsory for selling the standard food products. These types of companies must obtain a 14-digit registration or a license number printed on food packages. It is a permit required to operate a food-related business and to ensure good quality of food in your business and benefits one from government actions on non-compliances.
Why should people obtain FSSAI license?
The consumer should be aware and alert about the quality of the food they eat. People need to know what they are consuming. This is the number of diets and healthy eating food eating. Nowadays people have started to take the food safety standard seriously.
FSSAI Logo can be used in your menu cards and pamphlets to publicize your food's superior quality over others. It provides you an edge over the many food operators not having the license. FSSAI number is required for food products. Selective customers want to consume food products specifically having the license.
Easy Business expansion can be easily done with FSSAI license. This establishes reputation and qualification to grow your business in a new direction with ease. It is easy to get Bank loans and funding for expansion. It is considered important for quality and long run.
Provides legal advantage as it is very good practice before starting your business of food products. Now it is very easy to obtain the FSSAI license.
Procedure for getting FSSAI License
- Firstly, visit the website of FSSAI
- Signup by filling all the required details, for example, email ID, Contact details
- Make a unique user name which is not registered earlier in FSSAI website.
- After completing all these you will receive a message of confirmation
- This message shows that you have been registered online. This will be valid for only 30 days and within 30 days you need to apply for the license.
- Now you have to apply for online License/Registration.
- Fill the Online Application with all the required details.
- This will take some time in loading your necessary documents.
- The reference number should be noted that is displayed on the screen after submission of application.
- Track the progress of your application for Registration or Licensing.
- Annual Turnover Below 12 Lakhs - Registration Form A
- Annual Turnover from 12-20 Lakhs - State license Form B
- Annual Turnover above 20 Lakhs- Central license Form B
Procedure of Central License Application
Central licensing is provided according to eligibility criteria. In this, every required data is provided to the department which should be correct and appropriate.
- Generic names like coconut oil, flavored milk should be written it should not contain brand names.
- Names of food products must be approved products as per FSS Act 2006.
- In condition where you want add a new product then click on Select Food Category in the screen of Food Processing Unit and from the drop-down menu select the food category
- After it fill all food items one by one but for clarity.
- Information should be correctly mentioned as the same will appear on your FSSAI License.
- Download the form.
- Upload form by using an electronic signature.
- Finally, you will be asked for the end process asking you for how many years you want to apply.
- The cost of Central License is Rs. 24999
Procedure for State License Application
After checking the eligibility criteria you are eligible for multi licenses.
State license can be applied. This will be based on the pre-check procedure if you are falling in the category for State License then you will be directed to the State Licensing page where you will fill out the application.
State licensing process is similar to Central License.
The cost of State License is Rs. 14999.
FSSAI is considered both boon and bane for food products in India. FSSAI provides quality and trust to the audience. Branding of any food product is incomplete without the FSSAI.FSSAI marked food products are considered fully free unsafe ingredients.